Valentines is here again! It maybe a little different to how you have known it before and it may well be that you are having to celebrate with your loved one from a distance. Never fear, here are some fun facts you can share with them.
Five fun facts that you never knew about Valentines Day!
- Valentine's Day started with the Romans; It is believed that the Roman Emperor Claudius II, forbid young men to marry. In the spirit of love, St. Valentine defied the ban and performed secret marriages; however, he was later executed on February 14th!
- Wearing your heart on your sleeve is more than just a phrase; In the Middle Ages, young men and women wrote the name of the person on their sleeve for a whole week for everyone to see.
- The heart shape wasn't always a romantic symbol; It was originally believed that the heart was a person’s centre of memory. However, in the 14th century, French and Italian artists started to use the heart symbol in their artwork to depict love.
- Roses are the flowers of love; the rose was the favourite flower of the Roman goddess Venus.
- The chocolate box has been around for more than 140 years: Richard Cadbury introduced the first box of Valentine's Day chocolates in 1868.
If you haven’t yet treated your loved one to a valentine’s gift, check out some of the heart themed jewellery.
To celebrate the month of love, we are running a month long sale with 20% off all heart themed jewellery.